Technical specification of the TD4, thanks to Nigel, who posted this in 2005.
R1-R2 Leyland Titan TD4 /
Leyland body H30/26R
R3-R50 Leyland Titan TD4 / DUTC body H30/26R identical to R1-2
Body dimensions 26' long x 7'6" wide x 14'5" high. Engine 8.6 litre diesel. These were the first of the enormous Leyland Titan fleet, delivered between 1937 and 1938. R3-50 were bodied at Spa Road identically to R1-2 which arrived complete from Leyland in Lancashire. R1-50 were distinguishable by their more upright and squared off rear dome. See R1 restored at Howth Transport Museum. Later reseated to H32/26R, they were withdrawn between 1956 and 1960.
Registrations were ZC714 - 750 (R1 - 37) and ZC3751 - 3763 (R38 - 50).
R1 and R2 went onto route 50. In the first three months of 1938, before any tram routes were stopped, up to R32 entered service. They were most likely used on routes 48a, 50 and 83. In April, tram routes 23 and 24 ended, with the 23 replaced by single deck buses. But the 24, which had only run down the Quays, was now extended to run from Parkgate St. to Marino, using double deckers. R33 – 38 went into service at that time. R39 – 42 followed some weeks later. The next conversion was tram route 30, which was replaced by buses on 1 June 1938. R43 – R48 went into service then. The bus route was originally 58, which was the number of an existing single deck route, but this was changed to 30 the following year. R49 and R50 followed in July, and with the TD4s now all in service, there was a six month gap before the next deliveries.
The Rs were originally in Summerhill, and may also have operated from Lime St. (forerunner of Ringsend) in the early days. Clontarf became a bus garage when the 30 tram stopped. In 1941, the fleet was reorganised into batches, with lowest numbers in Clontarf, then Summerhill. So the TD4s would have spent most of their existence in these two garages.
A fleet list (which has not been authenticated) for December 1944 shows R1 – 44 in Clontarf, and R45 upwards in Summerhill. What we do know is that by mid 1950, R1 – 40 were Clontarf, and R41 upwards in Summerhill, and these remained the garage allocations. In 1950s, Clontarf had 19 TD4s on routes 20/20a, also R12 – 19 on 54/54a and R36 – 40 on 44a. The TD4s in Summerhill were on the 12. In the late 1940s, R1 – R7 had been allocated to route 30.
A small number of TD4s gave service elsewhere. R4, 19 and 37 had been withdrawn in December 1957, but were reinstated in February 1958 and sent to Cork, where they stayed in service until about September that year. R36 was an early withdrawal at the end of 1955, but was sold to Lough Swilly and gave many years service in Donegal. It was fitted with an AEC engine and platform doors.
R9, 18 and 22 also went at end of 1955. The Clontarf batch ended service over a period of 4 years. Longest to stay were R7, R16, R24, R30 and R32. The all lasted into 1959, with R16 and R32 lasting to the end of that year, by which time they were almost 22 years old. The Summerhill R40s were mostly gone by end of 1956, except for R46 (1/58) and R49 (4/57).
R10 was sold to CRC (Central Remedial Clinic) without engine. The top deck of R18 was applied to GNR 284, the former R154, after an accident. R1 is preserved by Transport Museum Society of Ireland. Indeed, the wish to preserve the iconic R1 was the incentive to set up a transport museum in Ireland.
R1 in its rightful place at the head of the Dublin Bay rally on 2 April 2002. Photo taken on Mount Prospect Ave. in Clontarf. R1 entered service on 18 December 1937 and was withdrawn on 30 September 1956. It operated initially on route 50, but later on routes 30 and 20 in Clontarf.
R2 was the second Leyland bodied TD4, and entered service on the same day as R1. It was also withdrawn on the same day, 30 September 1956.
R3 is photographed in D'Olier St. in May 1941 on route 20. The fleet organised into batches had happened by then, with R3 in Clontarf, where it spent the rest of its long life. It lasted until July 1958, so for two years was the oldest bus in service. Note the "Flying Snail" logo, which was new to DUTC in 1941. Although identical to R1 and R2, R3 was the first DUTC bodied TD4, the first two being bodied by Leyland.
R14 in Clontarf Garage in 1957. This bus also lasted until summer 1958. It was a regular on cross-city route 54 for many years.
R15 was also a route 54 bus, but is photographed here on new route 42a to Artane (Brookwood) in 1955. It was withdrawn in August 1957. Note the bus is facing "wrong way" on the quay wall side of Eden Quay, and passengers had to step out on the road to board.
R32 at the end of its long life, with nearly 22 years on the road. While mainly a Clontarf bus, it was also photographed on route 16 in the early 40s, indicating that the Clontarf allocation was probably less than 32 buses then, so R32 would have seen service from Summerhill.
R34 could be regarded as one of the first "tram replacement" buses. It went into service in April 1938, just as route 24 was converted from a tram route along the north quays to a cross-city route from Parkgate St. to Marino.
R36 also started when the 24 became a bus route. When the 44a went double deck in May 1950, this was one of the buses allocated to this route (R36 - R40 was the batch). It was sold to Lough Swilly, and is seen here in Belfast on its way to Derry/ Donegal.
A later photo of R36 now with Lough Swilly. Still has a Leyland radiator, but now an AEC engine!