A continuous production of double deckers started in late 1955, with 237 "Standard" Rs, followed by 152 RAs. These were primarily for replacement of the TD4/5/7s, R1 - R260, which dated from 1937 to 1941.
The first 6 OPD2/10s went to Clontarf in November 1955. These were R597 - 602.. The next 6 were in service from 1 December, R603-608. These were in Ringsend for routes 22/22a, the first major TD operated route to be converted to new buses.. Ringsend got 20 more of these in January 1956 for full conversion of the 22, indeed Ringsend was to be the dominant garage for new R600s in 1956.
The 22/22a was converted to RA class in summer 1959 and R603-611 were moved to Clontarf. R606 was on routes 42a/b in its early years, but moved to the 44a early in 1963, a route that it stayed on for more than 10 years, until replaced by R900s. R606 would have operated mainly on route 30 for its last year in Clontarf
The batch R600 - 611 was to stay in Clontarf until December 1974 when the Van Hool bodied AN68 Atlanteans arrived, except for R611 being moved to Galway in November 1968.
When the Van Hools arrived in Clontarf, the R600s had reached the end of their working lives. However, there were short term needs in Conyngham Road and Summerhill. R606 was one of four that went to Summerhill. R 606 is recorded as withdrawn in March 1975.
R606 achieved notoriety when it skidded and turned over on Castle Ave., Clontarf, while operating a full morning peak 44a on 9 February 1968. There were no serious injuries, and the bus was repaired and returned to service in September of the same year.
First photo of R606 has it unusually on route 53. The tan roof and blue waistband indicates that it was repainted in the period September 1965 to March 1966, so this photo is after this period, but before February 1968.
This is from a black and white print, again showing the bus off its usual route, this time on the 30.
This is a newspaper photo of R606 when it skidded and overturned on Castle Ave., at the entrance to Clontarf Castle (where there is now a roundabout).
Finally, having returned to service in September 1968, R606 was overhauled and repainted three years later in 1971. This photo was taken shortly after this paint job.Hard to believe from the condition of the bus that it is 16 years old, and that it had had a major accident three years earlier!